How to select the best skateboard helmet can be hard if you have never purchased one before. 80s skateboards have teamed up to select our selection of the best skateboards for safety and price.
Undoubtedly safety is the most important thing to consider when purchasing a helmet. The simple truth is the fact that using a helmet is particularly important for new skaters. This is because:
- New skaters fall more often (not necessarily more hard than pro skaters)
- Skaters do not know how to fall (how to fall is an art form)
- Skating with a helmet gets you into good safety habits – this is particularly important for children.
More important than buying a safety helmet is keeping it on when you purchase it.
There are so many bad injuries (that I’ve personally seen) that would have been easily prevented. Most of us have unknowingly visited skate parks where people have died or received serious head injuries.
80s skateboards have also had the pleasure of speaking to physiotherapists who have walked through recovery with patients with brain injuries from skateboarding. We won’t go into detail, however, the road to recovery is hard and long.
- 1 Choosing The Right Skateboard Helmet
- 2 Can I wear my cycling helmet?
- 3 How to Measure Your Head for a skateboard helmet
- 4 Best Skateboard Helmets List
- 4.1 1. Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skateboard Helmet:
- 4.2 2. Razor V-17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet
- 4.3 3. Triple Eight Skateboard Helmet
- 4.4 4.Flybar Adjustable Dial Helmet
- 4.5 5. Bern Unlimited Brentwood Summer Helmet with Flip Visor
- 4.6 6.JBM Skateboard Helmet CPSC ASTM Certified Impact resistance Ventilation
- 4.7 7. Awesome Boys/Girls Bear Safety Helmet
Choosing The Right Skateboard Helmet
Ok, we’re going to have to scare you here because it’s sometimes the best way to convince you to wear a helmet. Buying a proper skateboard helmet offer two areas of protection that are very important
- Protection for the ears. There are two small bones at the side of your ears. When these break you are deaf. Yes, I mean it (ask an audiologist.)
- The back of the head. This area is a very sensitive part of the head. This area is off limits for striking in the UFC and Boxing. So it should be off limits for striking concrete while skating too!
Unfortunately hitting the back of your head is particularly likely for a skateboarder.
Falling backward will happen.
Can I wear my cycling helmet?
If you have one, a cycling helmet is better than nothing. However, cycling helmets not only look less cool, they are less safe. Cycling helmets are designed to fracture and split on impact with the road and vehicles. Cycling helmets are a ‘one impact only’ helmet. They also do not protect as much of an area on the back of the skull compared to a skateboard helmet.
A proper skateboard helmet is a helmet for life. It will protect the head, impact after impact.
How to Measure Your Head for a skateboard helmet
- Use a flexible measuring tape around the circumference of your head (measure over your hair)
- Place the tape around 1 inch above your eyebrows and just above your ears
- If you have taken several measurements – use the largest one.
Best Skateboard Helmets List
1. Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skateboard Helmet:
Protec classic is one of the best skateboard helmets you can enshrine your skull in.
It is one of the oldest and most reliable skateboard helmets you can buy. Protec has been saving lives for over 40 years, and they are always on the edge of the latest technology.
The Pro-Tec classic certified features:
- High density, injection molded PE shell and two-stage inner foam liner (very thick).
- It has a high density, injection molded PE shell (the shell is essentially made by in injecting the PE into a cavity.
- Resale value, Pro-Tec is the best-known skateboard helmet brand, if you think you may sell the helmet further down the track, go for a Pro-Tec.
2. Razor V-17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet
This is a youth only helmet from a very famous brand. What we like about the razor helmet is its particular focus on creating a durable helmet for kids.
This helmet is strong but light (thanks to the 17 vent holes).
They have a brilliant set of colors too. The more your kids are happier with the color, the more chance they wear the helmet at all times.
- Quality and ergonomic interior padding that is comfortable and secure.
- 17 top and side vents help rider keep a cool head on hot days
- Side release buckles adjust and fasten quickly; sleek Black gloss color
- Fits head sizes 21.5 to 23 inches; for ages 8 to 14; Complies with CPSC standard
3. Triple Eight Skateboard Helmet
- Triple 8 is a side cut helmet design and also features the customized triple right logo rivets. The sweat saver liner features an antibacterial mesh that vanquishes the smell of sweat.
- Our favorite part is the 360-degree design that wraps around the helmet to remove liner separation within the interior of the helmet.
- Colors are available in red or black
- Liners are replaceable.
4.Flybar Adjustable Dial Helmet
Flybar Helmets are a particularly versatile helmet that works for Adults and Kids. They also provide 3 sizes ranging from 53 – 61cm.
The Flybar’s best attribute is a dial feature and the back of the helmet. This allows the skateboarder to finetune the tightness of the helmet around the head making it particularly secure and less obtrusive.
- All Flybar helmets are CPSC & ASTM Safety Certified for bicycling, longboarding, roller and in-line skating, aggressive/trick skateboarding, scooter & pogoing.
- There are 7 different colors and designs to choose from.
- Just in case you skimmed the paragraph above – The Flybar Certified Helmet features an adjustable spin dial on the back of the helmet to ensure you achieve a perfect and safe fit.
5. Bern Unlimited Brentwood Summer Helmet with Flip Visor
This helmet is a cycling and skateboard helmet. Ultimately this helmet functions better as a skateboard helmet than a cycling helmet due to the plastic outer of the helmet.
An additional benefit you may notice is the Flip Visor. This visor can be lowered to give you some cover from the sun or raised to give you some more vision.
Expect a nice snug fit with the sturdy adjustment system.
Here are a few features:
- Bike Light Compatible – The Asteroid and Meteoroid fit all new and older Bern helmets with a two-hole mount located in the rear of the shell
- Crank Fit – a dial adjustment system.
- Kits to upgrade your helmet for the winter are available
- Meets Safety Certification CPSC, EN1078
- Complete size ranges – S-M (54-57 cm), L/XL (57-60.5 cm), XXL/XXXL (60.5-63 cm)
6.JBM Skateboard Helmet CPSC ASTM Certified Impact resistance Ventilation
The JBM Skateboard helmet is a good value and features a classic design.
This skateboard helmet adopts the usual tough shell with a plush line to help you absorb your crashes.
- The ventilation holes are at the top (again, giving it that classical look).
- It has your standard adjustable straps.
- It comes in 7 colors.
- It is available in many sizes Small: 19.7’’-20.9, Medium: 20.9’’-22”, Large: 22.8’’-23.6”.
7. Awesome Boys/Girls Bear Safety Helmet
So, this isn’t a helmet for all ages. It is a simple and fun safety helmet for kids with an absolutely huge range of designs for kids from ladybuys to dinosaurs!
These 3D animal Helmets may be what your child wants to wear.
- A High density EPS liner to reduce head injury
- 360 degree internal removable padding system for a comfy fit
- 9- 11 vents for fresh air on your child’s head
- Super lightweight 230g(8 OZ)
- Anatomically shaped chin buckle
- Two Sizes – Small (19.7-21.3 for 5-8 years)
- Medium (21.3~22.8in for 8-14 years)
If you are buying a skateboard for a child please read our guide.